Sunday, June 14, 2009

Learning How to Fight

We have not been taught how to fight well. There IS such thing as healthy conflict.
Too often when we find ourselves in disagreements we immediately enter into defense mode. We don't listen well, because we're too busy formulating our next argument. We enter into fear-mode and our mouths and hearts don't line up.

What are we afraid of? That the other person won't come to see things the way we do? Or that maybe the "thing" we are arguing for with such passion might actually be wrong?

We can be right about a certain subject or belief, but in the moment of conflict we can become wrong because we fail to allow the character of God to manifest itself in us.

**********

Acts 15 is a pivotal chapter in the NT. The church has come together to discuss the issue of the day--must one be circumcised to be saved.

Some of the Jewish Christians had made this into a heaven/hell issue.

Acts 15 is a chapter that teaches Christ-followers how to enter into healthy disagreement. Persuasive doctrine doesn't drive the chapter. Instead, persuasive testimony drives the chapter. This is a story about the church catching up to the mission of God. God has proven that he is working among the Gentiles (outsiders) and now the church is needing to catch up to God.

The resolution given in the chapter (15:19-21) is all about relationships. Three of the four "rules" that come from the meeting are about table fellowship. The table becomes the place of unity, relationship, and Spirit-filled community.

6 comments:

  1. i did call someone yesterday after leaving service to apologize for the way i handled conflict recently. i became very close minded. i did want the person to see things from my perspective, because i wanted to know i was being heard. it was the wrong way to handle things. God convicted me, and i am asking Him to do so each time and praying eventually my tongue and mind will be tamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful summary of a crucial event in the history of the Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I texted unabashedly :) before taking communion on Sunday confessing to a colleague that I had allowed my pride get in the way of forgiving him for a situation that occurred almost two years ago. Thank you, Josh, for speaking God's word boldly! And I praise God that his Spirit lives in me and continues to convict me, even when I try and ignore him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I texted unabashedly :) before taking communion on Sunday, confessing to a colleague that I had allowed my pride get in the way of forgiving him for a situation that occurred almost two years ago. Thank you, Josh, for speaking God's word boldly! And I praise God that his Spirit lives in me and continues to convict me, even when I try and ignore him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunday was such a powerful service. When my Life Group family gathered around the Birds at the table, it was such a sweet moment. But when Ken began to serve us, I knew that God was present!!

    Don't you love it when God comes to church?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    You have a heart of gold. You are a fantastic minister.

    Kristi,
    I praise God for moving in such powerful ways. Your boldness for Jesus is admirable.

    Kim,
    That moment made me tear up. WOW!

    ReplyDelete