Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Brooklyn Tabernacle

Last night was my 2nd time to visit the Tuesday night prayer meeting at Brooklyn Tab.
For over 35 years they have created an atmosphere of expectation when it comes to calling upon the name of the Lord. We gathered for 4 hours with over 3000 people and we prayed, and when we were tired of praying, we prayed more. We worshipped, we engaged in powerful forms of intercession, we cried, we laughed, we rejoiced, we listened to a powerful message from Jim Cymbala from Isaiah 40, and...we prayed some more.
What does it say about a church that they have a prayer meeting that begins at 7:00 every Tuesday night...the doors open at 5:00...and there were people waiting outside of the doors at 4:45 to get into a 7:00 prayer meeting?
My row was made up of people who were white, black, African, Asian, and one girl who is from Pakistan who converted to Christianity from the Muslim faith 7 months ago.

There is so much swimming around in my spirit, but I don't know what to say.

Do we have a culture of prayer in our churches that goes deeper than prayers for knee surgeries and the need for rain?
Do we truly believe that there is a God who cares and who is eager to act with favor?

5 comments:

  1. Right on. I would love to hear prayer requests for "real" matters of the heart...from the pulpit, in bible classes...everywhere! That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along those lines, are we praying that we will act with boldness with whatever God puts on our hearts? I have spent a lot of time in prayer asking for what I hope for but now find myself spending more time in prayer asking to understand and be prepared to act on what is given to me.

    It sounds like a very powerful time with God. I hope I get to go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to go to the Brooklyn Tabernacle for several years, to see how it would change my prayer life. I know it would. I'm envious of you...in a good way....I want to pray that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing!! Would like to hear more and wish there was enough time to talk more about this journey you are on. Thank you for seeking after the Lord. You cause us all to thirst for more. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,
    I could write a book about my experience. You and I need to talk more. I'm going to call you in the next week or two.

    Krisit,
    You've got to go. Tell Jeff to take you to NY for 2 days. Eat a couple of good meals and go and pray.

    Jeff and Mrs. Jaworski (I've always loved your last name :),
    Great thoughts. Keep seeking the Lord.

    ReplyDelete