Monday, December 7, 2009

Single Moms, Incarceration, Huskers

Props to single moms, I don't know how you do it.
My heart goes out to Kayci every Sunday morning.
I leave the house around 5:30 on Sunday's. I like to get to the office to pray and go over my sermon. Early service begins at 8 and late service begins at 11. This means that Kayci is on her own on Sunday mornings. She gets both boys ready, piles them in the car, and drives to church. Once she is there, she has to take Truitt to Bible Hour about 30 minutes into the worship service and then Noah usually needs to be fed at some point. So, she gets to enjoy only a few minutes of church. Some days she asks me, "Why did I go to church today?"
Thank God for people who have reached out to her. Sue Petrey called me one Sunday morning at 7 and she was ready and willing to drive to our home to help with the boys. Others volunteer their time to take Truitt to Bible Hour or to hold Noah during worship.
But for all you single moms out there, I admire you.
For all you church leaders and Christ-followers out there, go up to single moms and sincerely ask them what they need from you.
**********
My buddy James is going to prison for about 15 years. It's a long story and I'm not going to go into it on here.
James has a wife and 4 kids. His children will be adults the next time they see their dad in the "world".
I've never thought about this before, but what ministries/services are out there to adopt and/or take in the families of those who have been incarcerated?
There is a void here. Children need male-role-models. Women need godly friends.
I know of some great efforts when it comes to prison ministries, but what about their families?
**********
My Huskers had every chance to beat Texas on Saturday night. The "D" was outstanding. Suh gave one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. He was tossing around all-conference-offensive-lineman like they were high school kids.
An average offense from my Huskers would have won that game by 3 td's. But they didn't.
Statistically, Texas' "D" played great, but no one expected the Huskers "O" to do anything. They are awful. But Texas' "O" was averaging over 40 points and the Blackshirts shut them down. Every Texas point was aided by a 15 yard penalty...2 of the 3 should have been called.
When it came down to it, Texas made two plays when they had to have them.
Bo Pelini was the right hire. Defensive wins championships, and if they can figure out something on offense that works, they will be in the conversation soon.

5 comments:

  1. Texas didn't deserve to win and Suh should get the Heisman. It's the 3rd time I've seen him play and he's a beast.

    I will be praying for your friend and that family. I have seen a similar situation and know it is an extremely difficult time for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    I'll pray for you as well.

    Lang,
    Great point. You are right on. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to send out props to single dads as well - my dad took care of me when my mom left us when I was 3 years old and my dad didn't remarry until I was 8 years old - so for 5 years he put cute dresses on me, fixed my hair, and got me off to school day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that was a great game. Sorry you were on the down side of that great matchup.

    ReplyDelete