Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Need for Easter

Easter is about resurrection.
There is joy because Jesus conquered the grave.
There is sorrow because Easter also carries with it the reminder that things need to be resurrected. In my case, it's a sister who died at the young age of 31.
I've never needed an Easter Sunday as bad as I need this one. A step further, I've never needed to preach an Easter sermon as much as I need to preach this one. One more step further, I've never needed to believe the Easter message as much I need to believe this one.
As Christ-followers we get to celebrate the power of the risen Jesus every day. Every facet of our lives are transformed by the death, burial and resurrection. But for me, this doesn't take away the power of the Easter experience. This weekend is a reminder of the spiritual journey which carries us through the different seasons of life.
Friday is terrible. It's full of sorrow and tragedy. All hope seems like it's gone. We experience seasons that feel like Friday.
Saturday is about waiting, anxiety, and doubts. Will Jesus rise like he said he would? We experience seasons that feel like Saturday.
Sunday is about resurrection. There's no better news than that Jesus dealt a deathly blow to the powers of darkness in the world. We lean into Sunday desperate to experience the breath that flows from the lifeless grave.
Thank you God for getting involved in our grief.

7 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping that your ressurection celebration renewed your spirit in Ephesians 3:20 ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, Thank you for the journey you took us on today from darkness to light! You and Kip are such a blessing to the family at SV!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your heart. I love your perspective. We continue to keep all of your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,
    It's Emily Brown from camp bandina days. I wanted you to know that I followed Jenny's struggle and prayed almost constantly. I have no words to express my sorrow to your family other than taking comfort in the fact that Jenny truly seemed to embody what was said by Paul, "For me to live is Christ to die is gain."
    Still praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh,
    I continue to be amazed that I am uplifted by your heartfelt words at a time when you need others to lift you up. Your family continues to occupy a place in all my prayers. Time is a comfort even if it is not a great healer.
    Leann Rye Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josh,
    Derran and I think and pray for you all often. We love you guys so very much. Praying for your strength today and in the days to come.
    Love yall! Give those precious boys love from the Reese girls.

    ReplyDelete