Thursday, April 15, 2010

Props to the Kojies

Back in 1997, Jenny decided to pledge a social club at ACU. She went with Ko Jo Kai.
Though she never became one of those club members who are sold out to their club while distancing themselves from everyone else, she did thoroughly enjoy her life as a kojie.
She was never much of a intramural player, but she lived for Sing-Song...a big event where social clubs perform on stage and compete against one another. Trust me, if they allowed alumni to join them on stage every year, Jenny would have performed until the day she died.

When Jenny got sick, the Kojies quickly got involved in every way imaginable. They prayed fervously. They recorded songs that they would sing during their devotionals and would send them so Jenny could hear. When they won Sing-Song in February, they gave their money to the family.
Even though many of the current members didn't know Jenny, they have responded to the tragedy of the last two months as if they had known her forever.

Here's where it gets even more cool:
Last night David & Malaya (along with my parents) drove to Abilene because they wanted to thank the Kojies for all of their expressions of love. David also wanted a chance to show Malaya around Abilene. He wanted her to see where Jenny spent a lot of her time.
When it was time to meet with the Kojies they were led by one of the members of the club, Stacy Bryan (a great friend of the family), but when they got to the room where they were supposed to meet, no one was there. So, they went to the "Plan B" place. No one there either.
Then, Stacy led them downstairs to the bowling alley, and there were the Kojies...all of them. They began clapping as they surrounded Malaya. It was a surprise party. They put a hat on her. They dressed her in a Kojie t-shirt. They stuffed their faces with 3 different birthday cakes. They circled around my family and read a letter thanking them for the last couple of months. They gave Malaya a birthday present and then they handed David a fat check...a FAT check. The Kojies had joined with a few others to raise money for the family.

This party went on until midnight. Needless to say, Malaya already wants to be a Kojie and she just turned 10. David is a little concerned that a social club is "rushing" a 10-yr-old. HA!

Thank you, Kojies, for loving my family. Thank you for the many sacrifices you have made...sacrifices that remind us that God is present and near.

9 comments:

  1. Wow. That definitely made me cry. Thank you so much for sharing, Josh. I am so inspired by their love for you and your family. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, does it make you wish you were a Kojie? HA! Just playing. I have a feeling that Kayci is going to love this story, but she's going to make sure Malaya has a little bit of "yellow" next time she buys her a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat thinking about how special Malaya must have felt last night. No wonder she already wants to pledge their club. We continue to pray and think of you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me cry too! That should not surprise you though. What an amazingly beautiful blessing for David and Malaya! I'd want to pledge a club that celebrated me that fully too. Whatever club M pledges will be so blessed when that time comes. Thanks for sharing this and allowing me to get my tears out early in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried when I heard the story this morning. I called Kayci to tell her the story. She happened to be driving with the boys at the time. Bad move on my part...it's not good to cry and drive.
    Thanks again Kojies. This made me want to pledge your club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the pleasure of seeing NUNU ROSS strut her stuff! A wonderful group of women, and I cried when I heard how amazing they treated sweet Malaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of my "little club of women." Thanks for sharing this sweet story Josh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for Kojies!!! So proud of them! I knew their hearts were big when I served as a sponsor--now I know their hearts are as big as Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for them and so proud to have been a Kojie.

    ReplyDelete