Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"You Have No Need For God"

When friends of mine were in Kenya, they met a Kenyan pastor named John. When this pastor visited the US, his first stop was their home. While standing in the kitchen, Pastor John asked what several things were and what they did. My friend Deb pointed out the uses of the microwave, oven, and dishwasher. As Pastor John stood looking at all of these appliances, he said to her, "You have no need for God."
(From The God of Intimacy and Action)

I don't always know what to do with these stories.
I'm usually not overwhelmed with guilt. But I am drawn to inward-reflection. These stories force me to ask questions about simplicity, priorities, and accumulation.
What about you?

5 comments:

  1. That's a great story Josh. I'm stealing that. By the way, I'm glad you posted that on Luke's blog. We have to watch out for him, you know how timid he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a CONSTANT tension we exist with. I wish Jesus could come again and speak to us about where our treasure is. I think He would have some pretty clear ways to illustrate that to us today.

    I did notice that Kayci seems to like the new dishwasher, though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since I first went to Brazil and experienced people who live in little houses with dirt floors and love God and their church with incredible joy, I have come back to America wondering how we fit God into our lives with all of our stuff.

    I want to be careful in how I say this. I want to be clear that I do not believe God is bringing an economic crisis to our country but I wonder if we are reaping what we have sown. If so, I can't help but imagine God will have a plan to use it to bring hearts, minds and lives back to him. Maybe it's just me thinking it would be a good cleansing for hte people of this nation but I can't help but wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That line is tough to swallow, but I am glad that I installed a dishwasher at my house in Florida. God might not do the dishes for me, but I sure am in desperate need of him for many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing wrong with the "good stuff" in life, but the questions should be, What do we do with it? How can we glory God with what we have? How are we helping people see Jesus? It goes back to where your treasure is.

    ReplyDelete