Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Confession, Part II

Duke University has released a study which states that 25% of people have no one to share personal struggles with.

In all honesty, we have created this culture. It is a culture that says:
"You worry about your life and I'll worry about mine."
"You worry about your relationship with God and I'll worry about mine."
This was not the kind of life that Jesus died to create. He didn't die to resurrect a church made of isolated individuals. His purpose has always been to create an authentic community of people who are seriousness about life with him.

My good friend Josh Graves spoke at our leadership retreat this past weekend. At one point he split us up into groups of 3-4 and we had around 15 minutes to share the mess in our lives. In other words, we were invited to enter into a short time of confession. Imagine this--a group of shepherds, ministers, and leaders divided into groups of 3 with the sole purpose to confess.

Towards the end, Graves informed us that we had about 1 more minute, and then something very small but powerful happened, one shepherd turned around, raised his hand, and said, "We need at least 3 more minutes." This stuck with me because usually during times like this we (especially men) are looking at our watches as we anticipate lunch or the next lecture-session so that we don't have to get real about junk in our lives. But this day, there were people who needed more time to share.
That was a sure sign of the stirring of God among us.

We must be proactive as we attempt to form the needed relationships that will sustain us on this journey of faith.

4 comments:

  1. I see that community of believers willing to share and care about one another growing in Decatur. It is a slow process because it is a transition from what I (and many others) have grown up with. I have found friends who I can share burdens with and it has been a blessing to me. I'm excited to know that barriers are crumbling in Memphis and that believers are joining together to battle the evil we must face every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, where'e that Duke research article? I'd love to read. Do you have a link?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    God is working through in you Decatur to create authentic atmospheres. Keep it up.

    Anonymous,
    I have the article at home. I will go home tonight and look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more comment on this...we need to be people that can be confessed to. I believe we have lost the power of confession because we don't feel like it is safe, that the person (or group of persons) won't understand or, worse, will look down on us. What God calls me to just as much as confessing my sins is to be an obedient servant that others can confess to and know they will find compassion and love.

    ReplyDelete