Friday, February 20, 2009

Hope House and Tiger

I will begin to watch Tiger again next week, which means I will begin to watch golf again. Golf just isn't the same without him. Welcome back, Tiger.
He is clearly one of the greatest athletes alive today. If you don't believe me, watch this clip. It is one of the funniest moments of 2008.


**********
I spent some time yesterday morning at Hope House. I sat in a room with a dozen of young children who are victims of the AIDS epidemic. I looked into the eyes of innocent children who have no clue that there is a devastating disease inside of them that is threatening their lives and future. Most of these children come from depressed neighborhoods. They are surrounded by poverty and crime.
Josh Patrick (a faithful Christ-follower and a good friend) and I walked into the room while the worship minster at Grace Crossing was leading the children in a few songs. We sat down with the kids and before I was on the ground they were all over me.
They wanted in my lap.
They wanted to touch my hands.
They wanted me to wrap my arms around them.
Ultimately, they just wanted touch.
A few minutes went by and one boy (probably 2 1/2 years old) just kept staring into my eyes. I whispered into his ear, "What is your name?"
He said, "Timmy."
I said, "Good to meet you, Timmy. Do you know what my name is?"
He just stared at me.
I said, "You can call me Mr. Josh."
Again, he just stared at me. Then he shook his head and said, "No. You are daddy."
The rest of the time there, he called me daddy.
Jesus shows up at the Hope House on a regular basis.
Yesterday, I heard the words from Jesus in Luke 18:16 in a whole new way:
"Let the little children come to me!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a powerful life application of your text. i think I would have been bawling.

    Tiger is incredible! And Will Farrell is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see Tiger play again!

    I don't know if you saw my facebook status the other day or not, but I actually had a dream the other night that Jeff, Pierce, and I were having dinner at Tiger's house. Elin served turkey and oven roasted potatoes and Pierce enjoyed playing with Sam and watching Charlie in his baby swing. It was a very thorough dream - if you want to know anything about Tiger's house, just ask :)

    So ready for Tiger golf!

    ReplyDelete