Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Hole in Our Gospel

If you want a book that will deepen your faith, read Richard Stearns The Hole in Our Gospel.

On second thought, don't read this book because it will mess up your life...but so will the life and teachings of Jesus. I'm always looking for ways to pray with more expectancy, to love with more compassion, and to care for the least of these with more regularity and intentionality. This book will open up a whole new world for you. I'm just warning you, "Beware!"

When our churches become spiritual spas in which we retreat from the world, our salt loses its saltiness, and we are no longer able to impact the culture. (Stearns)

6 comments:

  1. Seems like there are more and more books these days that are "afflicting the comfortable." I recently read Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution. Similar thoughts.

    I'm thinking that God has something to say to us.

    Grace and peace,
    Tim Archer

    ReplyDelete
  2. And unfortunately, for the most part, American churches have been spiritual spas for too long. Any wonder that our culture has turned a deaf ear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay ... I ordered the book. I hope you get commission for the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like that quote ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friend,

    Isn't the kingdom getting to be so exciting?

    Keep up the great work. I believe in you!

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered the book today. I've seen it for awhile and wondered if it would be one to buy. Thanks for letting me know.

    I still feel the true church is going to know pain and persecution unlike what has been experienced in many years but that through this, God will be glorified as we take a more humble role in the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete