Saturday, September 26, 2009

ACU Summit

I was in a mentoring group a few years ago with Jack Reese, the Dean of the Bible Department at ACU. They had just hired Brady Bryce as the Director of Ministry Events, which meant that Brady would be the visionary and director of ACU Lectures. During the interviewing process, Jack said that Brady and his wife Donna expressed concern over "leaving ministry." Jack responded by saying, "Brady, we don't want you to leave ministry. We want you make this your ministry."

With that said, Brady is an exceptional minister who just happens to be the Director of Ministry Events at ACU. The vision and direction he has brought to ACU Lectures, now called ACU Summit, is outstanding.

I was honored to be a participant and a recipient of this incredible event last week. Two of my favorite people in the world, Mike Cope and Josh Graves, keynoted and were phenomenal.

In my opinion, ACU Summit is one of the best events in the Churches of Christ.

I was able to connect with a number of people who have influenced my life in incredible ways: Troy Robertson, Kevin and Sarah Campbell, Josh Graves, Luke Norsworthy, Wade Hodges, Randy Harris, Rick Atchley, Chris Seidman, Barry and Collin Packer, Chris Fields, Josh Kasinger, Lauren Cunningham, Garrett Sublette, Mike & Diane & Chris Cope, and Aaron Metcalf. I might have left off someone, but there was a lot of connecting and it was awesome.

I had the privilege of preaching at Highland Church of Christ. It felt like home. I preached in front of friends, mentors, and professors. This church nurtured us early on in our marriage and they taught me how to be a Spirit-led minister who isn't afraid to take risks for Jesus.

My trip to Abilene was refreshing in so many ways, but I missed the SVC family and I am eager to preach the word tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Josh,

    I loved getting to attend the one session of yours I went to. I talked with my students about it, and I put a link to your July blog post talking about the Jubilee Sunday. I hope more people hear that story.

    Grace and peace,
    Tim Archer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,

    I have to tell you, I felt honored that you took time to meet with me. Believe me, friend, the admiration is mutual! You are most definitely helping to shape the disciple I hope to become in the Presence of Jesus. If I was able to encourage you even a little, I feel immensely blessed! You mean a lot to me and I'm thankful to have spent some time in community with you. Ever since Tuesday afternoon whenever the Spirit brings you to mund, I praise the Lord for your precious, fully abandoned, cruciformed heart. You bless me more than you realize :) Blessings to you, precious brother. My prayers will not cease for you, your ministry, your family, and the further development of who you are as a proclaimer of the Truth :)

    ReplyDelete