Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Some Speeches Transcend Party Lines

Today a speech will be given to students in schools throughout this nation that I hope is given by every president annually. Reagan and Bush #1 gave similar speeches to encourage kids to make good choices in life and say no to drugs, and today Obama gives a speech encouraging teens to stay in school, to stand up against the bullies, and to understand that the decisions you make now will determine the future of our nation and our world.
There are certain speeches that just transcend party lines. These speeches are not promoting "liberal" or "conservative" agendas. Instead, they serve to pave paths to take each day seriously because the future depends on it.
Sometimes it seems that an allegiance to a particular party trumps any form of good that might come from the other side. Such an allegiance gets us away from the respect, honor, and commitment to prayer that Christ-followers are called to in the NT.
I'm saddened by parents who feel the necessity to take their kids out of school for such an occasion, or to take the time and energy to write school administrators to boycott such events. Such decisions are usually based on fear, and fear is rarely a good motivator. However, we do live in a free country and parents have the right to such action.

I'm constantly reminded of the words penned from the hands of two apostles: Paul and Peter. And keep in mind that Peter and Paul wrote during the times of some of the most brutal and godless emperors who ever lived.


Romans 13:1-7, "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment...for the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, busy with this very thing. Pay to all what is due them--taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to who revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due."

1 Timothy 2:1-2, "First of all, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions..."

1 Peter 2:13-17, "For the Lord's sake accept/submit to the authority of every human institution whether of the emperor as supreme, or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right...honor everyone. Love the family of believers. Fear God. Honor the emperor."

6 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. We who are of another kingdom are expending WAY too much energy on worldly ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! i heard some opposition early on. i do not know if the speech was rewritten or not. all i know is what is being said this morning is highly motivational. i would love to see parents use this as a way to begin a conversation in their homes about how we can take this one step further and live for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed..." This is often confusing to me because I don't think God appointed Obama to win but what I take away from it is that God will use what has occurred and maybe, just maybe, I'm not seeing the situation through God's eyes.

    I am slowly learning that God is sovereign and if we will learn to listen instead of talk we might get to see his glory in amazing ways unfold before us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many parents are upset because they were not given the FREEDOM to choose whether or not their child listens to a speech made by Obama. Many parents were not given the opportunity to view this speech before it was shown to their children. Our kiddos go to a school that chose not to show this video, but many parents did not have a choice. I wouldn't be so quick to judge others when they are striving, like the rest of us, to glorify God with their decisions. Accusing these parents of simply acting out of fear is a judgment of the heart and I feel was unfair. I wasn't aware of the whole controversy until today, but I can sympathize with those who were troubled.

    If Bush or Reagan or whoever gave a speech that my children were going to be exposed to, I would like the freedom to choose whether or not they viewed this speech. Political people have political agendas. It is o.k. for me to listen to a speech because I can discern for myself what is good or true about it. Children are not mature enough yet, in many cases, to sift out truth or lies so readily.

    Political figures are not who I want my kids to have as their heroes or role models. By Having a political figure tell them how to live their lives and be better people, we are in essence approving of this person. Look at the list of political figures that have public sin in their lives: Bill Clinton with his extramarital affairs and publicly lying about it, John McCain divorcing his handicapped wife, the list goes on and on. They are not role models I choose for my children.

    There have been several rulers over the centuries who I wouldn't have supported or given honor to. Hitler is one that comes to mind. How could anyone give honor to such an evil man? I am NOT comparing Obama to Hitler, but merely applying the principal. I believe that I would have rejected Hitler and stood up for the people he was persecuting and murdering. Where do we draw the line in blindly paying honor to our rulers?

    Just some thoughts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick,
    I wish I was in Decatur listening to your Kingdom preaching every Sunday.

    Lisa,
    You are right on. I hope this encourages conversations between parents and teens as well.

    Jeff,
    I applaud your pursuit of God because it is genuine.

    Judy,
    Thanks for your perspective. You are truly a nurturing mother who deeply cares about her children. That is evident in the way you live every day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Josh. I was totally unaware of the excitement about the speech until Tuesday night. I totally agree with your dad. We are spending entirely too much energy on worldly matters.

    ReplyDelete