Wednesday, May 12, 2010

When I'm 70

I'm still 40 years away from turning 70, but it doesn't keep me from thinking about the kind of person I'll be when I'm older. Kayci and I will be celebrating our 49th year of marriage. My kids will be in their 40's and grandkids might be graduating from high school. I'll still be cheering for the Cowboys, Mavs, and Huskers who will have won at least 20 championships between the 3 of them by then. I'd like to still be active in life--engaged in ministries of reconciliation, serving in communities, swinging golf clubs and traveling with my wife. I'll still read books and I'll eagerly be awaiting the 58th season of "24".

**********

But more importantly, I'm writing today to describe the kind of 70-year-old Christ-follower I want to be.

**********

I don't know what the church will look like in 40 years. If I read my generation right, I think the lines between denominations will be very thin. I think more churches will be actively involved in a number of humanitarian efforts...meaning that they will have a voice at the table of world-wide conversations concerning AIDS awareness, value of life, child-slavery, global poverty, education, and women's rights. I think growing churches (when I use the word "growing" I'm not just talking about growth in membership, but growth in mission, vision, and spiritual health) will be tapping into all different forms of social networking and media-aid. Baptism and the Lord's Table will be celebrated regularly as important aspects of the Christian life...not just for salvation but as two practices that keep us rooted in the story that calls us to a radical life of giving ourselves away for the sake of the world. I think the best evangelism will happen in neighborhoods, jobs, and in places where Christ-followers choose to live with intentionality and purpose...and...it won't happen so much with persuasive arguments but with lives that bear the fruit of something to be imitated.

**********

I've been in ministry almost a decade now.
I’ve seen a lot.
I’ve experienced a lot.
One of the great pleasures and challenges as a minister in the western world in the 21st century is that we speak to 5 generations every Sunday. I preach in front of people every Sunday...some of our oldest members remember WWII like yesterday. Some of our younger people who are graduating from high school were born in the early 1990’s. Did you know that High school graduates were born when Saved by the Bell was going off the air? That makes me feel old and I’m still 4 months from turning 30.

Over my decade in ministry I’ve had numerous encounters with older people. In so many ways we stand on the shoulders of the people who have lived lives of faith for decades.
Here’s something I’ve learned, every person is going to come to a point in their life when church practices are going to change. The message of the gospel may not change, but how the gospel is presented and lived out will always change.
I’ve seen many of my “more mature” friends respond to this change in a few different ways:
1) Along for the ride. I’ve seen many of my friends who have adapted to change and have embraced it. In many ways, they are along for the ride. They believe in the essentiality of Jesus being presented as the way, truth and life, but how that confession is lived out can be massaged and tweaked. They are willing to try new methods and surrender to new paradigms in order to see the good news of Christ enter into the crevices of life.
2) Don’t like it, but where else will we go? Some of my more mature friends aren’t big fans of change and for reasons that I’ll never understand. People who suffered during the Great Depression or lived during WWII were taught to hold onto what you have with a deathly grip because life is precious and sacred. These experiences shaped their lives and worldviews. It shaped theology and practices. But one thing is true with some of my friends in this group, they value relationships and loyalty. Though they don’t like changes in worship or in methodology, jumping ship isn’t an option. Some stay and become consistent complainers. Some stay, and even though they don’t like changes, they choose to encourage and edify.
3) Can’t take it. Some of my friends just can’t take it. Changes invade consciences and disrupt concentration. Some leave kicking dust and others leave grieving because they don’t want to, but they need peace, joy, and comfort.

Here are four principles I want to live by when I’m 70:
1) I do not want to be driven by fear. I want to learn to live the central message of Galatians 5 that in Christ we have been set free. I don’t want to be bound by anything but by the resurrection of Jesus. I want to be fearless.
2) I want “mission” to trump all forms of “traditionalism”. Traditions aren’t bad. I know that. But when traditions become sound doctrine things can become toxic. Too many times we want to be part of a church that does Sunday morning right before we are interested in joining in their mission or vision. I don’t want to live that way. I want to join in a faith community because I’m eager to get in on the mission of God in that place.
3) I don't want to care about comfort. Yah, I’m sure that comfort will be a major part of life when I’m 70. I’ll be popping in all kinds of vitamins and pills. I’ll probably invest in a comfortable recliner so that I can kick my feet up. But when it comes to the local church, I don’t want comfort to be the key to a joyful existence with others brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope to be at a place where I’m eager to join in daring, creative, adventurous attempts to present Jesus to everyone in every way.
4) I want to be an encourager to help people dream with God...especially for young ministers. I don't want to confine future leaders by relentlessly asking them to massage the church of my past. By then, I want to be fully able to let go of the church of my upbringing and to help the generations under me to dream with God of what the gospel needs to look like to reach the people of the 2nd half of the 21st century. If it means that I need to sing songs that just don’t do it for me, I want to sing them with passion. If it means that I need to serve in a soup kitchen full of prostitutes and drug addicts, I want to be at the table. If that means that I need to dye my hair blue to reach some kids, I want to do it. But if it means that I have to wear a Yankee jersey…now that’s just crossing the line. I want the spirit of Paul to be in me, “I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some.”

You might think it is crazy that I’m writing about being 70, but I want to set in motion some principles and disciplines that will form me into a person who thinks, lives, and breathes the gospel story of Jesus. Plus, when I’m 70, someone will find this blog in my archive and hold me accountable. I better be ready.

18 comments:

  1. Josh,
    This may be your best work yet on the blog, and there have been a lot of good posts before. Thanks for articulating so clearly and lovingly a vision for a shared future as part of God's mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Unfortunately, your 70 will be here before you know it (I'll be 85 - ugg).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic words, Josh. Simply fantastic. Your desires speak to my heart in a rich way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this, friend! I just want you to know that you already are living a gospel-formed, and life-giving existence. I imagine your devotion to Christ will only mature, grow in depth, and become something that our God is really proud of. You bless my life. Thank you for living so passionately with purpose, white-hot authenticity,and such a Spirit-infused truth to who you are. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, very thought-provoking post. Thanks for sharing this. I'm convicted deeply by your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh, this is an outstanding post! You have done some very good thinking. It is not to early for you (or anyone else for that matter) to begin thinking about these future years. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep getting a mental image of you as Screech from time to time. That said, I share in your hopes of being a vibrant part of the church into my older years. At 45 I'm rapidly approaching them and I want to start living those things now so that at 70, it's just the way that I am. I want to cross the barrier of comfort today so at 70 I'll be comfortable with changes and people who aren't like me.

    Unless it comes to Yankees jerseys, Zero U attire or blue hair, I want to be all in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Now, don't hold me too much accountable for what I wrote. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Jeff, you've got to lose the image of Screech.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, thanks for writing! I wonder if at 70 you will have some of your Fresh Prince moves;) With all joking aside...I am so thankful that God has placed within you a deep passion to share the Gospel to so many different types of people. Praise God for that! You and yours are in my daily prayers. Blessings, Jana (Weaver) Edens

    ReplyDelete
  11. Josh, I sincerely hope that those changes that you envision for the church will really happen someday, but in my sixty years as a church member, change has been little more than hand-raising, hand-clapping, and new songs. The old sexism, racism, homophobia, and superstition are still alive and well, even among the younger church members.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking for this "future" local body of church that you describe TODAY! So far, I haven't found it but I'm not giving up! I've got time... 30 years till I'm 70!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josh, I've needed your words and your heart...thank you for both. With what you've said, it looks like I've got my work cut out for me if I'm going to be that way when I'm 70. I suppose I'd better get started. Love you, bro.

    Jon Mark

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for serving this up, Josh. It is deep and really has my mind racing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Josh, I'm almost 55, & want very much to still be an encourager to the young in every way the next 15 years, & hopefully, beyond that. (so hard to think it's just 15 yrs. until I'm 70--boo) Thanks for this post!

    Your 7:30 a.m. presentation at Pepperdine was really good---we're taking to heart your words on finding our rhythm. And, it was nice to meet you, 2nd cousin..... :) Andee Cone

    ReplyDelete
  16. BTW, hope you don't mind if I steal your post for my blog. I'm laying down the post and your video (good stuff too) in my space next week because it's better than anything I've got going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good thoughts Josh. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annie,
    Great hearing from you. I loved seeing you at Pepperdine!

    Jeff,
    Go for it, dude.

    ReplyDelete