Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Daddy...More!"

My faith tradition celebrates the Lord's Table every Sunday. At some point in our worship service we give thanks for the bread and the cup and we share in a meal together. (Well, actually it is more like a snack--a pinch of bread and a shot of grape juice, but you get what I'm saying.)
Some people prefer the mood to be like a memorial--solemn and quiet as people reflect on the death of Jesus.
Others prefer for it to be more like a celebration--joyful and uplifting as we reflect on the risen Lord.
Some like it quiet...others like a song, inspirational video, or a time for conversation.

It is a meal and people have preferences...just like all meals.

Some in my church would differ on things like:
  • Can you celebrate the Lord's Table Monday-Saturday?
  • Does it have to be unleavened bread?
  • Can a nonbeliever take part in the meal?
Two Sunday's ago while at Greenlawn Church of Christ in Lubbock (Kayci's home church), we were sitting next to Kayci's parents and when it came time for communion, I handed Truitt a pinch of bread. Like any child his age, Truitt saw food and he devoured it.
Kayci and I have no qualms allowing our children to take part in communion. There will be many times over their childhood when we will sit at a table in our home with family or friends and at some point in the meal we will celebrate the Lord's Table. We want our children to experience this moment--the relationships that are formed and the conversations that take place. We want it to be like the Passover was to the Jewish family--highly participatory and heavy on child-involvement.

After Truitt ate "the Lord's snack," he reached his hands out saying, "More! Daddy, More!"

I thought to myself two things:
1) He has it right. "More"--should be the respond.
2) He has no clue what he is really asking of Jesus, but I pray with all my might that he will fully embrace what he is asking for.

3 comments:

  1. I love this moment of our worship but often feel that we make it too efficient for our own good. I appreciate your comments about how we see it differently. Our church used to dim the lights during communion and I really didn't like it at that time. We have slides going during the supper reflecting on the cross and some people don't like that but it doesn't bother me at all. I take "as often as you do this" to mean it can certainly be more than once a week but I don't understand the idea of sharing it less often than once a week. I would hesitate to share it with my child while seeing it as an opportunity to share something with a non-believer because they often ask questions about it which seems like something of a contradiction.

    I wish I understood all the significance of communion better but as I continue my journey closer to God, it becomes more and more special and impactful to spend those moments of reverance and celebration reflecting on how much He loves me and talking to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table, whether for the Lord's Supper or sharing a common meal, is an incredibly powerful, life-changing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost gave Avery her first taste of the bread this last Sunday. I too want my child to grow up participating in this meal.

    ReplyDelete