Sunday, May 17, 2009

Staying Awake with God

I've written on here before that I never sleep well on Saturday nights. They are nights full of sermon prep, passion, prayers, and the burden of responsibility (a burden that God puts on me and carries with me). Rarely do I go to sleep on a Saturday night without anxiously anticipating the next morning. I just love preaching!
BUT, little did I know that this is true even on vacation.
I couldn't get ministry out of my head last night. I stayed up thinking about future sermons, praying over the vision of SVC and wrestling in prayer for some of my friends in Memphis. I thoroughly enjoyed God last night.
I miss not preaching at SVC, but the Sabbath I have received and the time with Kayci is much needed. I cannot wait to be back in Memphis one week from today to stand up in front of the church and say, "Please open your bibles to Acts 9."

2 comments:

  1. We look forward to having you back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh - as a member of a preacher's family, trust me, you need your vacation and your wife needs the time with you. My Dad preached from the time I was 4 until I was in my 40's. We always enjoyed our vacation time and it was never time spent with family or friends. Daddy always made sure that it was time just for our family. The majority of the time we went camping because we couldn't afford anything else but I never remember having anything but fun even though we all had specific chores to do. Once they were done in the morning, they were done for the day until supper dishes and once they were done, chores were done until breakfast the next morning. Even the littlest Kelley had to pick up sticks for kindlin for the fire for that evening or pick up trash and put them in the garbage cans. My Dad always taught us we had to leave a place in better condition than we had found it. I still go by that premise today. It doesn't matter if it's a picnic table, an apartment, a house, or an auditorium. If we're moving out it's going to look better than it did when we moved in.

    Enjoy, relax, and leave it looking better than it did when you moved in. If you are staying in a motel and want to leave the work for the housekeeper so she won't get laid off, leaving a few dollars on the dresser to tip her will most certainly leave the place looking better.

    Contact me when you get home and catch me up on the Pate matter.

    God Bless,
    Mimmy aka Joyce Smith
    http://www.mimmysmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete