Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jantsen's Gift

I first heard her story through Matt and Mike Cope.
Pam Cope's new book Jantsen's Gift invites you into a story of grief and redemption. She was a stay-at-home-mom in Missouri who was living the American dream, but her world shattered when her son, Jantsen, died at the age of 15. He laid down for a nap after football practice and never woke up. His heart just stopped beating. Jantsen's death sent Pam into a deep depression.
It is out of her story of deep depression that God cultivated within her a dream to rescue suffering, broken, neglected, and abused children. Her story is one of the most inpsiring books I've read.
I laughed. I cried. I prayed. I reflected.
Below is a paragraph that describes how I want to raise Truitt and his little brother (we still haven't decided on a name). Then, there is a video that will usher you into the mission of God.

The concept of a bad day for my kids is when the cable goes out, or there's a not enough milk for their Lucky Charms. I want my kids to know a different life than that; to have a different understanding of what constitutes hardship. The best way for me to do this is to do what I regretted not having done for Jantsen: teach them, through the way I live my life, that the world is not as big as we think and it's my responsibility--and will someday be theirs--to take care of people who need our help, even if those people look nothing like us, or live someplace that seems far away and foreign. I see many of my friends trying to shield their kids from pain and disappointment the way that I did when Jantsen and Crista were young, but I can't continue to do that. I don't want them to be crippled by fear. I want them to take chances and live adventurous lives. I want them to live their dreams, and the best way I can teach them to do that is to let them watch me live mine.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! How powerful. Thanks.

    Tricia Lillard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cousin Patrick filmed the above video, along with the others you can view on TAL's website.

    Jimmy & I are so sorry we had to leave Pepperdine on Thursday afternoon & miss your Friday presentation. I saw you a couple of times way across Firestone & couldn't ever get over to speak to you. I heard you did a great job, & ordered the DVD of your talk right before we left the campus. Still hope to come over to Memphis sometime & hear you preach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting this book as soon possible. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete